Intravenous Therapies: From Cancer To Chronic Fatigue - Nutrient Injections to Reverse Advanced Diseases States
The following is a reproduction of a lecture given by Dr. Jones to other health care professionals at an Eastern Ontario hospital.
Dr. Stephen F. Jones B.Comm., N.D.
Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
1. What Is an Intravenous (I.V.) Injection ?
I.V. injections are the 'route of administration' of a vast array of medicinal products - everything from 'drugs' to natural substances. They inject the solution straight into the bloodstream via any number of veins on the body.
2. Why Use I.V. Injections vs. Pills ?
- Bypass the stomach and intestines - avoid 'denaturing'.
- Administer larger dosages of substances than could be taken orally.
- Immediate availability to the body of the injected substances.
- Saturation of tissues, cells with substances due to 'pressure gradient'.
3. What's Injected ?
A vast array of critical nutrients used for the body to function. These nutrients make up every chemical, enzymatic reaction in the body. These are the VERY SAME chemical 'pathways' that drugs seek to alter. Instead of altering the chemical pathway, these nutrients provide the 'building blocks' for the reaction to occur or be stimulated in the first place.
The nutrients could be those needed for the heart to beat, for immune cells to form and work, for bacteria/viruses or even cancer cells to be halted or killed, for muscles to be relaxed, for brain chemicals to form etc etc.
4. Are the Injections 'Safe' ?
- Drawn from EXTENSIVE medical study and thousands of treatments used.
- Published in the most prestigious of medical journals.
- Used in CONVENTIONAL hospitals and clinic in numerous European countries and in the U.S.
- Are not drugs and do not entail the same pharmaceutical 'side effects'.
- As they are I.V. injections, they DO require the supervision and administration by licensed, professional health care staff specifically trained in their usage.
My Doctor Doesn't Know About These - How Could They Be 'Real' Treatments??????
While these treatments are published in prominent medical journals, used by some of the most recognized Medical Doctors and clinics and have been administered to thousands of patients world-wide, they are not taught in conventional medical programs in North America and most doctors have never been exposed to them during their residency and simply DO NOT have a 'working knowledge' of the treatments - certainly not enough to pass an educated opinion. As such, many doctors are simply not aware of the treatments, how they work, their extensive use or their 'peer reviewed' publications in the most prestigious medical journals. If they did, they would likely have a different opinion. As Mark Twain stated, " If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
Consider Some Recent Study Results Regarding Cancer
- See the attached newspaper article (CanWest News Service - published in the March 28, 2006 Standard Freeholder).
- See the attached column written by myself and printed in the April 7, 2006 Seaway News.
The I.V. Vitamin C discussed in this study IS NOT NEW. A great number of studies published in medical journals such as the British Medical Journal, The Lancet Medical Journal, The Journal of Orthomoleular Medicine have published data since the 1960's on the use of Vitamin C in the treatment of cancer. A Nobel Chemistry prize was awarded on the subject of vitamin C's ability to halt and kill cancer cells back in the 1940's. The Linus Pauling Institute has provided extensive research and thousands of treatments with this very cancer therapy since the 1960's. Numerous cancer hospitals in Europe and the United States routinely use the treatment - and so the story goes.
Despite these factual realities, numerous 'experts' have dismissed the treatment, most M.D.s have no awareness of the treatment and the media makes it sound like this is a new treatment. Even worse, many more oncologists say that Vitamin C cannot be used at the same time as many chemotherapy treatments. Avoiding being sidetracked, this is not true. The interaction between Vitamin C and chemotherapy has been studied and well documented.
Other Intravenous Cancer Therapies:
- Cancer Cachexia - Malnutrition: Cancer cells are more metabolically active and 'rob' the body of nutrients needed to survive, mount an immune response and to function. These I.V. treatments replace lost nutrients, preventing the malnourish, anemic state of many cancer patients. Used alongside chemotherapy or other I.V. cancer treatments (discussed here) allow for the cancer to be halted and at the same time the body to remain as nourished as possible to fight the disease.
- Hydrogen Peroxide / Ozone: An entire lecture could be focused on these treatments alone and it is impossible to summarize. In an attempt, these therapies directly and undisputedly stimulate the production of 'interferon' by the immune cells (monocytes and natural killer cells) whose job it is to attack cancer cells. Blood tests show increases in immune cells after the administration of hydrogen peroxide. These treatments can be used to treat bacterial infections, viral infections, fungal infections, cancers and a host of immune deficient states. Illustration of the extensive medical studies on these therapies are attached under the heading of 'Bibliography & References For Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy".
- Careseng: Also a lecture unto itself, this natural compound has revealed some very promising results in the fight against cancer. A special and highly unique compound derived from very specific 'ginsenosides' found in the plant Ginseng, this can be used in capsule or I.V. administration. I.V. is much more 'aggressive' and successful. See www.pegasuspharm.com for general information about this medicine.
The 'Myer's Cocktail':
This 'cocktail' of nutrients was pioneered by Dr. John Myers and developed by Alan Gaby, M.D., president of the American Holistic Medical Association and Contributing Editor to The Townsend Letter For Doctors and Patients. While the treatment has been administered to thousands of patients by hundreds of doctors around the world, little published material exists on the subject. Dr. Gaby alone has published data on just his patients, which include approximately 15,000 injections administered in an outpatient setting over an 11-year period, to an estimated 800-1,000 different patients. Moreover, the therapy and the factual data from those treated have been presented at more than 20 medical conferences to several thousand physicians over the past 20 years. Today, more than 1,000 doctors in the United States alone are known to use the Myers Cocktail formulation.
'The 'point' is that this is not a 'new' treatment anymore than the I.V. vitamin C treatment 'revealed' in the March 28, 2006 C.M.J.
Again, a full review is beyond the scope of this lecture. One can source a full description of the treatment on the internet by sourcing the medical journal called the 'Alternative Medicine Review' (2002;7(5):389-403). One may also search under 'keywords' of 'Dr. Alan Gaby and The Myer's Cocktail'.
In a nutshell, the treatment is 'simply' key vitamins and minerals used in the production of cellular energy in each and every cell's 'mitochondria (the cell's furnace if you will). Patients suspected of having impaired absorption of nutrients in their bowels can have the nutrients infused straight into their blood and, hence, directly into their cells. This allows for an immediate increase in cellular energy production. Those treated with the Myer's Cocktail include thousands of cases of: asthma, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, crohn's / colitis, migraines, general fatigue, acute muscle spasm, upper respiratory tract infections, chronic sinusitis, seasonal allergic rhinitis, cardiovascular disease, and other many other disorders.
Actions / Benefits of the 'Myer's Cocktail':
- Vitamin C: Aside from its value in cancer, I.V. Vitamin C (ie. in the Myer's) will increase the patient's immune cell 'count'. As an example, the antiviral effect of vitamin C has been demonstrated at a concentration of 10-15 mg/dL, a level achievable with IV but not oral therapy (Harakeh S, Jariwalla RJ, Pauling L. Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus replication by ascorbate in chronically and acutely infected cells. Proc Natl. Acad Sci U S A 1990;87:7245-7249).
- Magnesium: This mineral not only serves in to create energy in the 'furnace' of every cell, it is a smooth muscle relaxant. As example, studies have shown its ability to relax vascular smooth muscle (Iseri LT, French JH. Magnesium: nature's physiologic calcium blocker. Am Heart J 1984;108:188-193). Such relaxation allows for lowering of blood pressure, reduction in constriction of vessels which can cause headaches and impaired circulation. Likewise, magnesium is known to relax bronchial smooth muscle (Brunner EH, Delabroise AM, Haddad ZH. Effect of parenteral magnesium on pulmonary function, plasma cAMP, and histamine in bronchial asthma. J Asthma 1985;22:3-11). Such relaxation serves a primary role in treating conditions such as bronchial asthma.
- Others: B vitamins are injected and useful in treating adrenal fatigue, P.M.S., general low energy etc. Selenium and zinc may be used to stimulate immunity. A special form of vitamin B12 can be used to treat M.S. and neurological conditions etc.
Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, Stroke and Brain Disorders
I.V. treatments are truly at the 'leading edge' of modern medicine - not 'alternative medicine. As a testiment to this reality is the work of Dr. David Perlmutter M.D., a U.S. neurologist and one of the most 'published' doctors in the treatment of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Senile Dementia, A.L.S. and other brain / neurological disorders. Dr. Perlmutter has been on Larry King Live, has appeared on countless T.V. and radio talk shows, has lectured extensively at medicl conferences and has been publihsed in all primary medical journals regarding neurology. One can review his work via the internet at www.brainrecovery.com or buy the book of the same name.
His work is predicated on the reality that such disorders are known to result from 'oxidative' damage to cells and neuron in the brain (Ann N.Y. Acad Sci 570:186-96, 1989), as well as due to an inability to produce energy within the individual cells of the brain (Ann Neurol 34(5):715-23, 1993). Ironically, medications such as L-Dopa used to treat Parkinson's actually deplete the ability of cells to produce energy, further 'worsening' the condition.
Dr. Perlmutter's book provides the most extensive review of the medical proof that administering anti-oxidants and key 'cellular energetics' (ie. nutrients) PROFOUNDLY improves the outcome of patients with these diseases. It is a MUST READ for those with loved ones with the disease.
Some key 'highlights' of his I.V. treatements:
- A landmark study by the Department of Neurology, University of Sassari, Italy showed that I.V. injections of the natural compound glutathione resulted in a 42% decline in disability in Parkinson's patients (Prog Neuro Biol Psych; 1996: 20(7):1159-70).
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine: A study reported in the medical journal Neurology (1993;47:705-711) showed that this natural chemical significantly reduced the rate of progression of Alzheimer's patients.
- The form of Vitamin B12 called Methylcobalamin holds significant promise in the treatment of many neurological diseases, in particular M.S.
In all, the work of Dr. Perlmutter is far too detailed for this general overview. The basic concepts of I.V. therapies, however, apply. The core building blocks used by every cell to function can be replaced allowing for functional improvements to occur. In the case of neurological diseases, their anti-oxidative ability has been clearly and undisputedly been shown to be able to reverse existing damage and to prevent future damage from occuring.
So Doc, What Else Can You Treat?
As I.V. nutrient therapies work to replace and therapeutically manipulate the very chemical reactions of every cell in the body, the 'indications' for I.V. therapies are extensive. NUMEROUS 'protocols' exist and have been used on hundreds of thousands of patients. These include:
- Headaches and Migraines
- Pre-Menstrual Syndrome
- Heart Arrhythmias
- Allergies - especially Sulfur allergies
- Macular Degeneration
- High Blood Pressure
- Viral / Bacterial Infections - especially recurrent
- Neuralgia - especially Sciatica
- Heavy Metal toxicity - especially resulting in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia.
- Blocked Ateries / Impaired Circulation - CHELATION Therapy
Best of health to you.
Readers may email Dr. Jones at email@example.com with any inquiries.